From April 27, 2022, through June 27, 2022, Narratively is accepting entries for our debut Spring Memoir Prize. We’re on the hunt for revealing and emotional first-person nonfiction narratives from unique and overlooked points of view. Entries will be judged on a rolling basis in four rounds: the first three by experienced Narratively readers and staff, and the final by our incredible and generous guest judges:
- Ashley C. Ford, New York Times–bestselling memoirist of Somebody’s Daughter
- Nicole Rocklin, Oscar-winning film and TV producer behind the movie Spotlight
- Glynn Washington, host, creator, and executive producer of the podcast/radio show Snap Judgment
We’ll award the top three writers the following cash prizes, as well as publication on Narratively.com and inclusion in a special Narratively Spring 2022 Memoir Prize Digital Collection:
- Grand Prize: US$3,000
- Finalist: US$1,000
- Finalist: US$1,000
Further, Narratively editors will work with the Finalists to potentially adapt their stories into larger projects in different mediums (TV, film, podcasts, etc.), and the Grand Prize Winner will join Narratively and our guest judges for exclusive and collaborative video conversations to discuss exciting ways to build on their story — from books to graphic novels, podcasts, television series and films.
- Prize period opens: 9 a.m. Eastern Daylight Time (EDT) on April 27, 2022
- Prize period closes: 9 p.m. EDT on June 27, 2022. We will not accept entries once the prize period closes.
- Final decision announced: On or around August 15, 2022. Entrants will be notified via Submittable and/or email.
- Entry fee: US$20, nonrefundable and due at time of entry
- Eligibility: Open to folks 18 years of age or older on or before 9 a.m. EDT on April 27, 2022, and who are not employed by, related to or sharing living quarters with Narratively staff or our guest judges. This competition is open to anyone, including past and current Narratively contributors. Current and former Narratively editors are ineligible.
- Ready-to-publish pieces only — no pitches accepted
- Word count: 2,000 to 7,000
- Nonfiction, written in the first person and in English (translations permitted)
- Original and previously unpublished as a written work
- Simultaneous submissions are permitted, but must notify Narratively if entry is accepted elsewhere.
- Multiple submissions from a single author are permitted, but each must be submitted and paid for individually.
- Adaptations from other media (podcasts, scripts, etc.) are permitted with disclosure.
- Any citations should be in endnote form and listed at the end of the Submission.
- Please remove your name and contact information from your Submission.
- Narratively prefers common fonts such as Times New Roman and Arial, at 10- to 12-point size, double spaced, for ease of reading. Please do not include images or graphics.
Please review our complete Official Rules & Submission Guidelines here.
For more about who we are, what we look for and how we help adapt written stories for TV, film and podcasts, please visit our website.
Still have questions? Email us at email@example.com.
Not yet ready to submit? Sign up for our Prizes newsletter to receive helpful reminders about deadlines, prize updates and announcements, and news about future prizes on a variety of topics.
Having trouble logging into Submittable? Click here for help.
Best of luck!